On the River2 mail list, Daniel reports problems with first-time installation of River2.
Apparently he has set up the static files prefs to write to Amazon S3, which of course is a good thing. It looks like the software may be getting confused. So I tried to recreate this situation on my test server, a virgin River2 set up for just this purpose, earlier this week.
1. Went to the user prefs in River2.
2. Went to the S3 path page. (Probably could use a better name.)
3. Checked off that I want to store my static river in an S3 bucket.
4. Entered a path into one of my buckets, different from the one above. Screen shot.
5. Waited for the river to scan and build.
Punchline: This river was fine too.
Throw out the old EC2 image, and do a new one, without entering any S3 info.
Report success or not. If not, provide as much information on what you did as possible.