Okay, in the corner-turn I did today that turns Scripting News, as a feed, over to Radio2 -- we lost the full text for each post.
But there was also a link to the OPML in each story, that's also gone. I want to try to bring it back, in the worldoutline context.
Of course there is no single static OPML file for each story on the threads site. They're all part of a single big outline. Every month I save the archive and turn the node into an include node, so the actual outline never gets too big. But all the content will remain reachable through it.
I love how simple this turned out.
I put two new meta elements in the head section of story pages for Scripting News.
<meta name="sourceOutlineUrl" content="<%rootOutlineUrl%>">
<meta name="pathIntoOutline" content="<%pathIntoOutline%>">
There are two source values. The first is the URL of the outline the page came from, and the second is the path into that outline.
To traverse the path, normalize the text of each node. But look for a name attribute, and if present it overrides the normalized text. If you're writing a walk routine for this, you will understand this paragraph as you debug it.
Those two bits of information get you to the source for the document. It's unambiguous because it's the information that worldOutline software uses to locate it, and it works.
Now, if you want the full text of a post, you have the means to get it.
I went ahead and added it for blogpost nodes too. So if you do a view-source on this page you'll find the two "source" links in the head section.
<meta name="sourceOutlineUrl" content="http://static.reallysimple.org/worldoutline/dave/2012/01/05/archive039.opml">
<meta name="pathIntoOutline" content="/october2012/10912ByDw/staticOpmlForAll">